The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Plan your outgoing exchange studies

On this page, you will find information about the application periods, eligibility, partner universities, and study plans.

Three people with laptops in a library. Photo: Johan Bävman.

Prepare well in advance

Contact your study advisor or the international coordinator at your department for help with the planning of your exchange and deciding the best time for you to go. We recommend that you complete at least one and a half years of university studies before your departure.

If you would like to study at a university outside Europe, we recommend that you start planning your exchange about a year in advance. If you want to go on an exchange within Europe, six months in advance is usually sufficient.

Keep track of the application periods

See the application periods

Make sure you are eligible

You are eligible to apply for exchange studies if you meet the requirements below.

  • At the time of application, and in the semester preceding your planned exchange period, you must be an active student enrolled for full-time studies at the Faculty of Science or have been granted approved leave from your study programme.
  • You must have successfully completed a certain number of credits at the Faculty of Science when you submit your application:
    • 60 credits if you have studied for a Bachelor’s degree at the faculty.
    • 30 credits if you are on a Master’s degree programme and have completed a Bachelor’s degree at another university.
  • You must have no more than 15 credits in uncompleted courses in your main field of study.
  • You must be able to show a study plan specifying the courses you intend to study at the host university.
  • You must have the language skills required to benefit from teaching and to pass assessments in the host university’s language of instruction.

Find information about the universities

You can find information about our partner universities in the Lund University application system Solemove.

Please note: In each call for exchange studies there will be a specific list of the universities you can apply for in the call.

Find information in Solemove

  1. Go to the Solemove website
  2. Select your department in the drop-down list under "Your home unit" and then click on "Search". Below the map, you can now find a preliminary list of the universities you can apply for in the current application period. Please note that the list can vary from one year to another.
  3. Click on a university in the list to learn more about it. Under the headlines ”Additional information” and "Enclosures" you can find more information about course catalogues, study periods and practical information.

Read travel reports

Are you thinking about what it is like to study at a particular university, or in a particular country? Get inspired by other students' travel reports.

The Lund University database Travel Reports (opens in a new tab)

Draw up a study plan for each university

You can apply for up to 10 universities. You will need to draw up a study plan for each university you want to apply for. The study plan shows the courses you want to study at the partner university. The study plan is preliminary, but it is important that you fill it in as accurately as you can. We need to see that you have found courses that fit your study programme.

Keep in mind that the courses you study abroad must correspond to full-time studies and be eligible for a credit transfer towards your degree at the Faculty of Science, Lund University. It's important that you comply with Lund University’s guidelines for what is considered full-time studies, rather than those of the host university.

Contact the international coordinator at your department if you need help with your study plan.

Download form for study plan (PDF, 185 kB, opens in a new tab)

Read about what is counted as full-time studies at other host universities (PDF, 74 kB, opens in a new tab)

Next step: Apply for outgoing exchange studies

When you've gotten this far, it's time for the next step – applying for outgoing exchange studies.

Apply for outgoing exchange studies