The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Apply for incoming exchange studies

For you to be able to study as an exchange student at the Faculty of Science, Lund University, your home university must have a formal exchange agreement with the faculty.

Woman with laptop. Photo: Kennet Ruona.

How to apply

When you have been selected and nominated for exchange studies by your home university, it is time for you to formally submit your online application for studies at Lund University and apply for housing.

If you stay for a full academic year, normally autumn and spring semester, you will only apply for the autumn semester courses when you make the first application. You will apply for the spring courses in October.

Please note that we will only accept applications submitted during the application periods.

English language proficiency

As an exchange student, you are not required to provide official English language documentation, however it is expected that your level of English language proficiency is equivalent to CERF B2.

Global language scale on the Council of Europe website

How to apply for courses

  1. Carefully select your courses.
    Read more about choosing courses
  2. After you have been nominated by your home university, you will receive the activation link to the Lund University online application as well as instructions on how to apply. Make sure that you read and follow the instructions carefully.
  3. Fill in your application. Remember to scan and attach the following documents in English:
    • Your official academic transcript in English.
    • A list of your ongoing courses at your home university, if not listed in your official academic transcript.
    • Your Statement of Purpose (also known as Letter of Intent or Letter of Motivation), one page maximum.
    • An explanation of your home university’s grading system.
    • A copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph.
  4. Submit your online application during the application period.

See dates and deadlines

Letter of Acceptance and Course Confirmation

Once the application has closed, our International Office will process all applications. This process normally takes at least a month. When your application has been approved, you will receive your Letter of Acceptance, which you need in order to apply for a residence permit or visa (if applicable). You will also receive information about which courses you have been accepted to.

If you have any questions about your Letter of Acceptance, please contact the faculty coordinator at our International Office.

Read more about preparations to come to Lund

Apply for housing

We strongly recommend that you have your accommodation sorted out before your arrival, as many students are looking for housing at the start of the semester. You should apply for accommodation through several different agencies and be very active in your search for housing.

LU Accommodation

Most international students apply for housing through LU Accommodation, which is a part of Student Services at Lund University. The application to LU Accommodation is open during the same period as the application for exchange studies.

External accommodation agencies

We encourage you to apply through other accommodation agencies as well, since LU Accommodation will not be able to offer housing to all international students.

Find external accommodation agencies on Lund University’s main website