Rules for thesis defences on account of the coronavirus
There is at present a general anxiety about gathering many people in one place. There is also a risk of restrictions that will further limit the public’s chance to be present at a planned thesis defence. We must therefore be able to manage changing conditions for public events at short notice, while notification of a thesis defence is to be at least three weeks in advance.
- All PhD and Licentiate thesis defences that are to take place up to and including 31 December 2020 are to be streamed online, so that those who wish to can follow the thesis defence via a link.
- As a minimum requirement, the author of the thesis and the appointed chair for the thesis defence are to be present at the thesis defence venue.
- An external reviewer and examining committee members who cannot be present at the venue or via a link can be replaced through pro-dean Anders Tunlid appointing another external reviewer/member. Dean Sven Lidin has previously made a decision on a general exemption from the rule that the external reviewer is not to be affiliated with Lund University (STYR 2020/583). The exemption applies up to and including 1 September 2020.
Rules for external reviewer or examining committee members who participate via a link
- All persons in the thesis defence venue are to be able to see and hear all persons attending via a link.
- All persons attending via a link are to be able to see and hear the author of the thesis, the presentations made in the thesis defence venue and all those who make statements at the venue. All persons attending via a link are also to have the option of direct telephone contact with the chair of the thesis defence. This is to manage any technical problems that may arise.
- The appointed substitute or substitutes are either to be present at the thesis defence venue or follow the entire thesis defence via a link.
The external reviewer must be able to take part of the author’s presentation of the thesis and be able to participate throughout the public examination. The examining committee members must be able to participate throughout the thesis defence. If the technology fails and the above-mentioned requirements cannot be met, the thesis defence must be repeated or postponed.
Rules for public access online
- Via internet, the public is to be able to take note of the presentations that are made in the thesis defence venue and be able to see and hear the author of the thesis, external reviewer and all examining committee members.
- Via internet, the public is to be able to ask questions and hear all questions put to the author of the thesis.
Rules for requesting a thesis defence
The faculty normally appoints one substitute in connection with requesting the thesis defence, but there is no obstacle to appointing more substitutes. In any event, it is appropriate that the department representative has arranged for an additional one or two people who can be appointed as substitutes (or for another role) at short notice.
For each thesis defence, pro-dean Anders Tunlid decides on the time and place and on the composition regarding chair, external reviewer and examining committee members as well as a substitute or substitutes for these. If any of the pro-dean’s decision need to be changed, of if the thesis defence needs to be cancelled, Aleksandra Popovic or Tobias Nilsson at the Faculty of Science office are to be informed about the proposed changes and the reasons for them. Thereafter, the pro-dean can make a new decision. Decisions on replacements can generally be taken at short notice (within a few days).
If an examining committee member is to be replaced, it is often appropriate for the substitute to step in as an ordinary member and that a new substitute is appointed. If an external reviewer is to be replaced, it is often appropriate for one of the examining committee members to step in as external reviewer, that the substitute steps in as an ordinary member and that a new substitute is appointed.
At the latest in conjunction with the notification of the date of the defence of a thesis, the department representative is to have:
- Informed Aleksandra Popovic or Tobias Nilsson at the faculty office about how the public is to access the thesis defence (link to connect to streaming of the thesis defence as well as information on how to ask questions).
- Provided information on whether or not the thesis defence venue will be open to the public. If the thesis defence is to take place at a venue that is not open to the public, the department representative is also to communicate this.
This procedure is to ensure that information is included in the announcement of the thesis defence in LU’s calendar (handled by the faculty office).
General information on streaming and participation via a link
The department is responsible for organising a link. The faculty has no resources or facilities set aside for this purpose. LU Conferences can arrange a total solution for a thesis defence in Zoom. The public are to be able to ask questions, but this can be either oral (via a link) or in writing (via email or chat), depending on the choice of technical solution.
- Conference services – staff.lu.se
- Contact LU Conferences via email bokning [at] service [dot] lu [dot] se
Zoom has been shown to work very well. Participants who are attending via a link are recommended to have a neutral background in the video mode (and not show their office, kitchen, etc. in the background.). The author of the thesis should also be equipped with a suitable background at the venue, or a background image in video display mode.
Do you have any questions about the rules for thesis defences?
If you have any questions about the rules for thesis defences, please contact Aleksandra Popovic or Tobias Nilsson at the faculty office.